Pond Stalking

Posted on Wednesday 22 September 2010

From almost the first day we arrived here, there’s been an enormous waterbird stalking our pond — no doubt because we have an abundance of these:

Fair Game

Or should I say, we had an abundance. Daily visits to the smorgasbord have reduced the supply rather markedly.

He’s a Great Blue Heron. And he’s been driving me insane. I’ve gone sneaking down to the pond TONS of times with my camera… only to see him fly off the second I start down the porch steps.

But not this morning.

Great Blue II

I didn’t even realize he was there when I went down to the pond, either. Walked down with the hound-dog, and was nearly on top of him before I saw him.

I backed away… slowly… quietly…. and went back up to the house for the camera. Came back down, then realized I didn’t have the card in. So I backed away again! Slowly…. quietly…..

Great Blue at last

I cannot believe I finally got away with this.

So who’s stalking whom, do you think?

8 Comments for 'Pond Stalking'

Arlene
    September 22, 2010 | 9:34 am

Your pictures are magnificent. What kind of equipment would I have to invest in to achieve pictures like yours? Then all I’d need is your eye and somewhere beautiful. I got a couple of airborn hummers yesterday but they are pathetic compared to yours.

September 22, 2010 | 10:02 am

Arlene, thank you very much! Yes, somewhere beautiful helps a lot — LOL!!!

OTOH, I made some spectacular images back in Texas. George Bush Park was the source of many of those. (I like this one a lot.)

How much for the equipment? Hahahahaha……. (you really truly do not want to know.) But I’ve seen some really gorgeous stuff from point and shoots — or even from camera phones.

Hummers in flight are tough, though. Don’t give up!

September 23, 2010 | 7:10 am

Today’s lesson: never, ever go anywhere without your camera.

(And yes, sometimes I still forget. But not often.)

~EdT.

September 23, 2010 | 7:12 am

BTW, I love the bokeh on that second image. Especially what looks like rings/moon-shaped objects near the bird’s left leg.

~EdT.

October 17, 2010 | 11:31 am

These are fantastic! I would love to frame one for my house. Do you mind? Obviously, it was meant to be that you photograph this bird.

October 20, 2010 | 8:54 am

Charlotte — after all we’ve been through together? Of course I don’t mind. I’m glad you like them!

::smiling::

December 21, 2010 | 11:24 am

Just checking in on you – you’ve been quiet but that’s understandable. As someone who lost a loved one recently also, I understand. May your days be peaceful. xoxo

December 24, 2010 | 8:48 am

Hi Charlotte — yes, I’m still here. Just really caught up in lots of stuff, and not very motivated to blog. Haven’t been taking many images either, though I did some during our spectacular autumn.

Thanks for thinking of me! Very best wishes to you!