A Morning with Goldenrod

Posted on Friday 27 August 2010

Okay.  So.  This turns out to be hard.

*deep breath*

Something’s changed the last few days with Goldenrod.  She’s MUCH much weaker, she’s suddenly sleeping a great deal, and she seems to have lost interest in any of the things she enjoyed doing — or at the very least, she hasn’t the energy.

Only a week ago, she drove to the fire station to play dominoes and Scrabble for 3 hours.  This is a bit abrupt…. but I don’t really want to talk about that.  Rather, I want to tell you about the morning.

It was a spectacular morning.  Stunning!  Not quite cool enough to be called “crisp”, but certainly it was fresh and bright.

So I wanted to take Goldenrod down to the pond.

It isn’t just that she hadn’t yet seen it in the almost two months she’s been here, either (and it’s right there!!).  It’s that I’m starting to feel a sense of urgency.

It’s beautiful.  She loves beautiful things… and this is a spectacular place.  I really want her to see some of it.

And so we did.

Goldenrod in the meadow 2

For the record:  it’s an adventure driving through a rocky New Hampshire pasture, but it was well worth it.  (Wish I’d remembered to bring a pillow, though, for her backside!)

We had a lovely visit.  I can’t begin to tell you how very wonderful it was.

I showed her the Cedar Waxwings, and where the girls camped out last month.  We talked about the polliwogs, and how very low the water levels are.

When I asked to take her picture, she gave me a great big smile.

Goldenrod in the meadow

And when it was time to go back, she was too weak to get up.

So I guess this is a good news, bad news kinda post.  The bad news is obvious — but the good news is that she was able to take in a glorious morning.

And wait!  There’s more!

She knows that I’m writing this, and she asked me to give her best to all of you who’ve been asking about her.  She loves you all.

And she knows that she should have probably said something quite a long time ago about what she suspected about her health, but she really wanted to make that trip to see everyone without a cloud hanging over.  I’m still amazed that she made that drive, actually, but I’m very glad she did.

Just like I’m glad she came down to the pond with me this morning.

12 Comments for 'A Morning with Goldenrod'

August 27, 2010 | 4:16 pm

Thank you so much for posting this. I hate that she’s doing so poorly. Please let her know that The Bug (Dana) is praying for her – & still laughing at that flamingo she gave me.

Jacky
    August 27, 2010 | 4:35 pm

Tough for you to write this, but I really appreciate that you did! I’ve hesitated to ask anything.
    That is a great picture of your Mom and a fantastic smile. Yes, what is happening is very hard, but be glad that you could have this morning together. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Edna
    August 27, 2010 | 4:38 pm

Thanks for sharing and I love the photo. Please give your smart and funny mother my love, Edna

Evelyn James
    August 27, 2010 | 8:18 pm

Thank you for sharing. It was lovely to see Helen smiling and give her a big hug from me.

August 28, 2010 | 7:12 am

I love, love, love the photo. Please tell Goldenrod we are thinking of her and praying she will feel better. She is missed.
    Tammy, Emily, Katie, Kayla

August 30, 2010 | 10:32 am

Oh Daryl, my prayers go out to you and your family. I went through something similar with my own mother less than a year before Katrina, and it was heart-rending (especially as when her condition returned for the final time, she simply gave up, and spent almost the whole time waiting for the end. She really *was* too weak to get up. It still hurts to think about it, to tell the truth.)

At least, she has the comfort of her family with her, and the natural beauty of the area you live in. She is one very lucky person, indeed!

~EdT.

August 31, 2010 | 4:40 am

Thank you, everyone, for your very kind comments. Goldenrod checked in on this post online, and read your thoughts and well wishes. I hope she continues to do so any time I post one of these.

EdT — Thank you, my friend. You have your thumb right on it. You’re right, too, about the natural beauty here. I think she is really glad she came with us and saw it.

Steven
    August 31, 2010 | 3:57 pm

Please give my Love to Goldenrod from The Golden Fish.

Ellen
    September 29, 2010 | 11:57 am

Polimom,
    I just found out the news about Goldenrod….oh, my heart aches. Please know you and she are in my prayers. Accept my deepest condolences.
    Ellen (whalechaser)

September 30, 2010 | 11:59 am

Oh Ellen… I’m so sorry you weren’t aware. I know you and she communicated pretty frequently.

Thank you.

September 30, 2010 | 11:59 am

Steven — I gave her your greeting, and she smiled.

August 27, 2018 | 5:46 pm

Can I simply just say what a comfort to uncover a person that actually understands what they are discussing online.
    You actually know how to bring a problem to light and make it important.
    A lot more people really need to read this and understand this side of
    the story. It’s surprising you aren’t more popular because you certainly have the gift.